WHO WE ARE

For more than 100 years, our company has been supplying the Mid-South with high-quality aggregate for construction projects ranging from asphalt construction to playgrounds. We are a major supplier for the ready-mix concrete industry and we’ve had lasting effects on the Mid-South, from supplying aggregate for major roads and railroads to smaller commercial jobs to supplying materials used to build the FedEx Forum.

Our plants and facilities operate in the most responsible and technologically advanced methods to ensure the land entrusted to us – and the surrounding neighbors – are taken care of. We are committed to the quality of our work, the development of our community, and the safety of everyone involved in what we do.

  1. 1890's

    C.D. Smith and W.L. Smith started out as contractors on the Santa Fe Railroad across the Mojave Desert, the Yellow Dog Railroad in MS and part of the New York City Subway System. They later became involved in mining near Birmingham, AL.

  2. 1910

    To fill the need for aggregates for railroad and road construction, the Smiths leased and/or purchased gravel properties in Camden, TN and Iuka, MS. C.D. Smith along with L.K. Thompson purchased The Exchange Building for the corporate office of the now official Memphis Stone & Gravel Co. C.D. Smith became the company’s first president.

  3. 1925

    W.L. Smith, brother of C.D. Smith, was named President. Followed by his son, W.L. Smith, Jr., they led the company for 17 years.

  4. 1926

    Initially focused on providing base material and roadway surfaces, Memphis Stone & Gravel Co. opened their first wash plant in Iuka, MS. Washed gravel would later become the company’s main focus.

  5. 1942

    To assist with the war effort, Memphis Stone & Gravel Co. was the prime contractor for Dyersburg Army Air Base and Murfreesboro artillery ranges. They also provided the base materials for the Milan arsenal and graveled and surfaced north Mississippi.

  6. 1952

    Jesse S. Cooper was named President.

  7. 1956

    C. D. Smith II is elevated to President when Jesse S. Cooper is elevated to Chairman of the Board until his retirement in 1962.

  8. 1958

    Upon the passing of C.D. Smith II, L.C. Ring was named President and Treasurer by the Board of Directors.

  9. 1965

    Memphis Stone & Gravel Co. purchased 48 acres of land in DeSoto County, MS, which became the site of the Airways Plant. After the closing of the plant, the land was reclaimed and is now the site of CarQuest Auto Parts and Campbell Clinic.

  10. 1969

    L.C. Ring was elevated to the Chairman of the Board and Swayne Latham, Jr. was named President.

  11. 1972

    All Memphis Stone & Gravel Co. stock was purchased by Construction Aggregates, Inc. James J. Madison, who was the President and sole stockholder of Construction Aggregates, was also a stockholder and President of Lehman-Roberts Co.

  12. 1975

    The Duke Plant opened and began mining the clay gravel that was used to construct the north loop of I-240 and the Arlington airport.

  13. 1978

    The Atkins Pit near Collierville was closed and the land sold. After reclamation, the land was developed for residential use and is now the Bray’s Station subdivision.

  14. 1979

    A gravel plant in Love, MS was purchased from Mid-South Gravel Co. This plant still serves as our Love Plant today.

  15. 1982

    Memphis Stone & Gravel Co. began providing the double-surface treatment on the Natchez Trace.

  16. 1983

    North Plant opened, replacing the Duke Plant, and Batesville Wash Plant opened.

  17. 1985

    William H. Brown succeeds Swayne Latham as President of Memphis Stone & Gravel Co.

  18. 1988

    Memphis Stone & Gravel Co. was merged into its parent company, Construction Aggregates, Inc., forming one company known as Memphis Stone & Gravel Co.

  19. 1995

    The Anderson Plant, just south of Pleasant Hill Road and east of I-55 in DeSoto County became operational. The plant served the area until 2015.

  20. 1998

    The Fly Plant in Grenada, MS opened.

  21. 2002

    Upon the retirement of William H. Brown after 40 years of service to the company, Hal Willford was named President.

  22. 2005

    The future Senatobia Plant was permitted. According to the MDEQ Office of Geology, this site will be the largest permitted gravel resource in the state of Mississippi.

  23. 2006

    Perry Plant opened in Senatobia, MS

  24. 2016

    DeSoto Plant opened just south of Southaven after the nearby Anderson Plant was closed.

  25. 2017

    Upon the retirement of Rick Moore, his son-in-law, Pat Nelson, is named Chairman of the Board of Directors.

PROCESS

Our mining cycle is designed to produce minimal impact on the environment. From exploration to reclamation, we consider it our responsibility to leave the property we mine in a better state than we found it.

SEE HOW WE DO IT

SAFETY

At Memphis Stone & Gravel Co., safety is our top priority. Operating under strict MSHA guidelines, we ensure that every team member has the right protective equipment, follows all procedures, and protects the best interests of their team and their environment. The safety of our workers, our neighbors, and local wildlife rely on the effectiveness of our safety protocols, and we’re proud that Memphis Stone & Gravel has been consistently recognized for our safety efforts.

COMMUNITY

We care about the communities where we work. Our team invests resources into local organizations and charities, and every bit of property we mine is reclaimed for beautiful landscapes and professional use long after we’ve finished the job.

SEE HOW WE GIVE BACK

AWARDS AND RECOGNITION

Throughout our history, Memphis Stone & Gravel Co. has been nationally and locally awarded for our dedication to cleaner, safer, and efficient aggregate mining.

 

SEE ALL OUR AWARDS